Sunday, March 9, 2014

Winter blues

Last week was chaotic! Everything that could go wrong did. I think the negative behaviors I saw in students can be attributed to all the cold winter weather we've had. The students have been inside more this winter than any winter I can remember. They need the sunshine so they can get out and run around at lunch. It's not too bad for the students to be inside before the first bell rings but by the time lunch rolls around they need the sun. It isn't just the students either because I've noticed an extra dose of grumpiness in the adults in my building, me included. Finding relief from the winter blues came somewhat by accident when I was feeling really tense in my shoulders and back. I decided to take a hot bath and found myself relaxing. This made for a good night's sleep. We need to find ways to de-stress and let our bodies relax. How do you deal with the winter blues as a school counselor? What ideas do you have for the students and staff in your building?


My daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter built "Frosty" during one of their many days of snow in Northwest Arkansas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment