Sunday, April 20, 2014

Think like a middle schooler

I love to read, I mean I can devour a book in no time flat! I've always had a love for reading which lead to a career as an English teacher before becoming a middle school counselor. Having taught high school English and only one year of middle school I didn't have much experience reading "those" types of books. Armed with my credit card, I hit a couple of bookstores the summer before I started teaching 7th and 8th grade English. Suffice it to say I was overwhelmed with the choices available.

One of those trips led me to James Patterson and his collection of middle school books. I honestly wasn't sure if middle school students actually read his books but my first one Middle School: Get Me Out of Here seemed like a good place to start. I started reading and couldn't put it down. Not that I was learning how to be a better teacher but because I was thrown back to "those" middle school years, the awkward, insecure, and at times turbulent years. I figured right away the best way for me to be a better teacher was to think like a middle schooler and less like an adult (well, in some ways at least).

This first year as a school counselor has been eye popping to say the least. I've survived with lots of pray, asking questions, and keeping myself well supplied with "those" books. Some of my favorites I read over the past year are
listed below. What are some of your favorite books to keep yourself ready for the next middle school student that walks through your door?


No comments:

Post a Comment